Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: anitheroes unappealing/dull?

From: Ray Skirsky ( rskirsky@qualcomm.com)
Date: 29 Apr 2002

At 08:24 PM 4/26/2002 -0700, Doug Hoffman, MD wrote:
>The antiheroes who "work" for me have qualities that make them
>sympathetic. NOT necessarily likable. Some examples:

One of the greatest anti-heroes is that great Victorian soldier, hero, lecher, and, above all, coward, Harry Flashman. Though he ain't hard-boiled, he's a must read for all fans of military history. I recommend him highly. A new Flashman novel is a cause for celebration in my world. Sort of like the appearance of a new Travis McGee a few decades ago.

Ray

P.S. The history in the books is painstakingly accurate, enough so that one was once on a recommended reading list in a college history class that I took (Flashman and the Great Game). The author, Geo. MacDonald Fraser, is a professional historian, whose real history writing is insufferingly dull. These books are anything but.