Re: RARA-AVIS: fatalism and noir?

From: Scatalogic@aol.com
Date: 28 Apr 2002

I have always taken a noir film to be fatalistic, screwed, if you like. Trying like hell for something that will never come. In the pocket essential on film noir Paul Duncan hard boils it down to:
"Film noirs are stories about doomed love in a criminal or degrading world. From the beginning we know that things are going to end badly......" He also draws a time frame of 1940-1960, after that we get post-noir. I'm not sure how useful all these arguing about terms is, especially genre descriptions that are going to be necessarily vague, although you sure seem to enjoy it, so carry on. Colin, horribly predestined to go to work tomorrow.........