Re: RARA-AVIS: The Unloved

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 28 Apr 2002

Rene Ribic:

 in one novel I
> read, Wyatt (very much a Parker clone), who is a professional crook
> who's seen it all, knowingly comments on one of his accomplices that his
> eyes are "pinned" which means he's "obviously" on coke or angel dust.
> Aside from the fact that pinned pupils is such a well-know symptom of
> heroin/opiate intoxication that the most common Australian slang term
> for being stoned on heroin at the time of the book's publication was (&
> probably still is) "pinned" (which the most basic research would have
> discovered), in over 30 years I have never heard of anyone in Australia
> having even caught sight of angel dust let alone being habitually stoned
> on it. I think if you were to randomly pick any ten Australians off the
> street you'd be lucky to find one who'd even heard of it and if they had
> it would have been someone like myself (or Disher, Wyatt's creator)
> who'd know of it from US TV & movies. In other words, all Disher seems
> to know about the Australian criminal milieu is what he's picked up from
> US media - i.e, nothing. It might seem a small point but it bothers me,
> like some of the Australian cop shows we have where characters use
> phrases straight out of US TV rather than they way real Aussie cops, for
> example, talk. (
>
> Rene (PS - Wyatt's cowboy friend would most likely be a heroin or speed
> user statistically & if his pupils are pinned, definitely the
> former.Crack is unknown here except through US media & coke is
> prohibitively expensive even for full-time junky/crim's & that class of
> user in Australia is most likely to inject coke - which would be a shot
> every few min's till the stuff runs out. Not very practical in the case
> of a professional burglar.)

Rene, You might be the only person on the list that would know all this. All Disher had to do was use 'ute'. to get me. Luckily my cousin taught for a while in Perth, and he confirmed my guess.. Parker is always ways is confident (There's that word again!) he will succeed, but Wyatt seems to worry often especially about his underworld enemies. Reading about Wyatt has helped me be aware that Parker is near superhuman. as well as ageless. Mark