Re: RARA-AVIS: LA BASED COP SHOWS

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Apr 2002

Jim,

Re your comment below:

> A guy who hides behind a badge to live out his
> dream of being a thug
> doesn't win any sympathy votes from my corner. This
> isn't a cop who
> occasionally goes over the line; this is a guy who
> has no more respect for
> the law than Tony Soprano. At times he's
> entertaining to watch, but he's as
> big a bum as any of Tony's outfit.

He's a bigger bum. Tony and the rest don't make a pretense of being anything but professional criminals.
 Mackey hides behind the persona of being a good, tough cop.

There're all sorts of things that bug me about this show, including the way the cops wear their uniforms. The badges go on the RIGHT side. I know THE SHIELD doesn't have technical advisors, but they shouldn't need one for such an elementary point. Are they trying to make some sort of visual comment about things being all turned around, or do they really not know which side of the tunic wear police officers pin their badges to?

JIM DOHERTY