RARA-AVIS: The Top 111 and Richard Stark

From: Mbdlevin@aol.com
Date: 26 Apr 2002

The other Doug in Oregon writes:

<<Richard Stark's Parker made #5 on the top 111. The only Parker novels I've read are The Mourner and Firebreak. I didn't like either one. I'm wondering: did I just pick two poor-to-average Parker books? Or am I probably not going to like others in this series?>>

Brian writes:
<<
 I don't care for the Parker books mainly because they are predictable. The
 best, however, are The Hunter, The Outfit, Comeback, and The Seventh. >>

My great personal triumph last year was to lay my hands on every last Parker book (and get them read). I was going to try to rank them, but I couldn't ever manage it. It's probably fair to say that if you didn't like The Mourner or Firebreak AT ALL, you won't like the others. That said, both of those titles are closer to the bottom in my mind. Brian's list is pretty good. The Hunter (aka Point Blank or Payback) might well be the best. Another good one that I seem to see more often than others is The Man With the Getaway Face. Another weaker title is the Black Ice Score.

Doug