Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled Character Traits

From: JAA ( johnnyyen@shaw.ca)
Date: 26 Apr 2002

> Here's another definitive hardboiled character trait ... self
> confidence. The hardboiled character doesn't need anyone else to agree
> with 'em. Typically they're going against the grain with such vigor that
> their confidence is labeled as arrogance by the 9to5 grunts who just
> don't see it or don't want to see it.

That's half of it - a hardboiled character is that, and in a noir there's a sense but best left unstated or explained, that that is not quite enough to deal with the world. It's no wonder the Europeans invented the noir cinema; they already had the words for it: Schadenfreude, welschmertz, ennui

JAA

This would be a little more profound or at least intelligible if I weren't drinking.