RARA-AVIS: dragnet

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 25 Apr 2002

I just saw that Dick Wolf bought the rights to Dragnet and wants to make it into a modern LA-based cop drama. this could be an interesting update; I assume it will be a fairly "straight" version rather than the goofy Hanks/Aykroyd picture. I can't remember the last crime series set in LA prior to "the shield," so perhaps the success of the FX show has inspired renewed interest in LA. It'll be interesting whether they take the "cops are the good guys" tack associated with Dragnet (and, more or less, with the Law&Order shows) or try to subvert it somewhat.

(I know this is really a post about TV, but some here have argued that Joe Friday qualifies as a print HB character, in which case I am talking about an adaptation so I hope it kinda sorta fits).

incidentally, I recall that there was some talk a few years ago about making a series or miniseries based on some of Ellroy's LA books, with Kiefer Sutherland attached at one point, but apparently that fell by the wayside. The success of "the shield" might bring that concept back to life, esp. if somebody still owns the option.

carrie
-

He got thirty years for lovin' her/ from some Oklahoma governor,/ who said
"everything this doughboy does is wrong" - Tom Waits