Re: RARA-AVIS: The 111 (James Bond)

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Apr 2002

Colin,

Re your comment below:

> For what it's worth I don't really think of James
> Bond as hard-boiled (cue lengthy debate), mainly
> because for me he rests firmly in the spy genre.

It's not his being a spy that puts him out of the hard-boiled designation. Otherwise Matt Helm and Tiger Mann would be disqualified. It's his "elegant British gentleman" demeanor.

> I would sa!
> y definitely entertaining but neither really hard
> boiled nor noir - boys own adventures.

Here you've got something! I'm willing to bet that Fleming's biggest influence was neither Hammett nor Chandler, but Sax Rohmer.

JIM DOHERTY