RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: The Hardboiled James Bond?

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 24 Apr 2002

erick says:
>Orphaned at 11. Public school education. Kicked out of college. Served his
>country during WWII. No friends. No family. Kills for a living -- in hot
>blood and cold -- and wonders if it's all bullshit. Follows no ones rules.
>Variously described as cruel, ruthless, cold, taciturn. PLUS:

hmm... i've changed my mind. maybe bond is hardboiled. ;-) but honestly, when i thought about bond, i thought that maybe in a different environment i would have seen him as hardboiled. but of course, that wouldn't have been valid, cuz hardboiled is attitude... its noir that is atmosphere.

erick is on a roll:
>Being hard-boiled means being boiled hard -- all the way through to the
>core; having no soft center. I think one is hard-boiled in one's soul, that
>it doesn't matter where he lives, where he goes, who he hangs out with or
>how he talks.

well now. by that definition, i would almost wonder if marlowe is hardboiled. i could almost swear that guy's got a soft spot somewhere, not even very well hidden sometimes.

but seriously, hardboiled to the core doesn't make a very good or believable character, does it? thats one of the reasons i thought the con op sucked. he was more of a two-dimensional cartoon character than a person. the much-valued demons that haunt the hardboiled soul lose their value if given soul is untouchable.

miker