RE: RARA-AVIS: The 111 (James Bond)

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 24 Apr 2002

hi george,

i read most of em when i was a kid and young adult and loved them. he was tough and didn't follow the rules or his superiors, he drove a fancy car, and most important, he got a lot of women. i never thought of bond as a snob, though. and although i can't exactly put my finger on it, i don't think of bond as hardboiled. because he was a spy? because
"roscoe" and "bird" were not a regular part of his vocabulary? because the middle and lower classes were normally only represented by "flunkies" doing the dirty work of rich people? to be honest, i'd say my hesitation to class bond as hardboiled probably lends credence to jim doherty's "gotta talk the talk" theory. of course, i'm unsure that my backing actually lends support to any theory. ;-)

anyway, moving on. i did buy the first non-fleming bond book by gardner (can't remember the name) and it seemed a lot like the others, with the exception of bond's bending to the sign of the times... i believe there were several, but the one i remember is him changing his cigarette brand to a low tar and nicotine one.

miker