Re: RARA-AVIS: The 111 (James Bond)

From: Scatalogic@aol.com
Date: 24 Apr 2002

For what it's worth I don't really think of James Bond as hard-boiled (cue lengthy debate), mainly because for me he rests firmly in the spy genre. However, the novels are much tougher than the films. I read them all a long time ago, like most British school boys I should imagine, and enjoyed them. I don't think they would suffer from reading out of order but in the time honoured fashion I seem to remember the early ones being better. I haven't read them for a long time but I do remember enjoying Diamonds Are Forever and Dr No the most. I have never read any post-Flemming or film novelisations so I can't pass comment on them. I do remember as an impressionable adolescent being slightly stung by the critical assesement of James Bond as, "A 14-year-old boy's idea of sophistication and cool," I was at least 16 I think! Perhaps that's why I didn't pursue them??? I know they took a lashing for their politics - particularly gender politics in the last couple of decades. I would sa!
 y definitely entertaining but neither really hard boiled nor noir - boys own adventures. Cheers Colin