RARA-AVIS: The 111 (James Bond)

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Apr 2002

I've printed out the Top 111 list and keep it in my wallet, in case I'm in a used book shop and trying to decide what to be looking for (my preliminary thesis has been turned in (whew), I'm down to about 400 emails in my inbox, and I'm more than halfway through the Travis McGee series, so I'll be looking for more material soon.

That being the case, I noticed that James Bond ranked fairly high on the list. I read a few of these years and years ago--my last memory of reading Bond was having two novels temporarily confiscated when I entered basic training in 1986, and I don't even remember which ones they were. I remember at one point reading one--Moonraker, I think?--and thinking that it was nothing like the film (the reverse would be a more accurate statement, I now realize). Later, when I saw the film Goldeneye, it seemed to me that elements of that film's plot were taken from Moonraker, but I could very well be mistaken.

Anyway, are these novels best read in order? Do the post-Flemming authors measure up? I would expect later authors, knowing what kind of franchise they were writing for, would tend to write novels more easily converted to scripts--yes or no?

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/