Re: RARA-AVIS: A Feast of Snakes

From: John Williams ( johnwilliams@ntlworld.com)
Date: 24 Apr 2002

  Doug wrote:

> > So... how's the rest of Crews' work? Any recommendations?

Rene wrote

> I personally haven't read Crews yet but I was lucky enough to score a
> copy of his SCAR LOVER for $1 - should it be at the top of
> Mt To-be-read?

For my money Crews' best novel is his debut, The Gospel SInger, very Flannery O'Connor, very fine. His autobiography, A Childhood, is tremendous too. Body is pretty much the last good novel. The nineties novels (inc. Scar Lover which is essentially an reworking of an old short story) are pale imitations of his earlier work. A particular favourite of mine is the collection of his journalism, Blood And Grits - this includes some wonderful long pieces written for Playboy in the seventies on the Alaska Pipeline, Charles Bronson, etc.

John