RARA-AVIS: angie

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 23 Apr 2002

any worse than Elvis relying on Joe, Spencer on Hawk, Stefanos on Dan Boyle, etc? and if this knocks out Angie, it knocks out Patrick too (which I imagine some would want to do anyway - Kevin?) and then, i like Bubba. Bubba's one of their oldest friends. I don't think the typical hard-boiled hero turns down a favor in a jam unless there are unacceptable strings attached. I mean, Marlowe is more than glad to let silver-Wig help him out of a jam, even realizing she's probably screwing herself over in the process.

I think the whole discussion of which characters are hard-boiled may be missing the boat a little. I'd assumed that, per the Doherty theorem, it's the writing that needs to be colloquial and tough, not necessarily the characters themselves. obviously many or most HB books will contain characters who contrast with the hero in order to highlight that quality in the hero.

jim wrote:
> Maybe so. At least after some point in the first or the second book.
>I've never quite gotten past the way in which she was introduced, but I
>think
>you're probably right. However, she does seem to relish (and to some
>degree,
>bask in) the protective cloak that Lehane's Neanderthal scumbag Bubba
>throws
>over her every chance he gets. How hard-boiled is that?

-

He got thirty years for lovin' her/ from some Oklahoma governor,/ who said
"everything this doughboy does is wrong" - Tom Waits