RARA-AVIS: The Bone Orchard by D. Daniel Judson

From: Gary ( piesbook@execpc.com)
Date: 23 Apr 2002

I just finished reading The Bone Orchard by D. Daniel Judson (Bantam, 03/02,
$6.50). As THE BONE ORCHARD opens, the readers are introduced to Mac at the age of 32. His best friend, Augie Hartsell, is struggling to recover from devastating injuries suffered when he took on a one-man campaign against a drug dealer. Southampton, NY, P. I. Frank Gannon has called Mac, asking him to come back to work for the P. I. as a babysitter for Augie, who is about to be sent out on a wandering husband case. Mac reluctantly agrees, and he and Augie are present to witness the suspicious car accident that kills teenager Amy Curry. When Augie and Mac realize what they witnessed may be murder, it sets in motion a series of devastating consequences that put their lives, and the lives of their friends, in danger. Central to the story is the relationship between Mac and Augie's sixteen year old daughter, a reluctant temptress who would like to love Mac and protect her father. While tempted by the young woman, Mac is also drawn to the security of a normal relationship when he finds himself dependent on a local nurse named Gale Nolan. Mac is also aided by Eddie, a Jamaican cabbie who is Mac's angel, and a hapless bartender named George who happens to work in the bar below Mac's apartment and who keeps getting reluctantly dragged into the action. To tell more about the plot would give too much away, but this is a great hardboiled debut with a noir atmosphere. Trust me, try this one.

More details at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0553584162/qid=1019562999/sr=1-1/ref= sr_1_1/103-3225300-8541462

Best, GWN Gary Warren Niebuhr P. O. Box 341218 Milwaukee, WI 53234 piesbook@execpc.com http://www.execpc.com/~piesbook/piescatalog.html