RARA-AVIS: Henning Mankell

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Apr 2002

Given the recent vote, there are an awful lot of Martin Beck fans on the list. I just finished a book by a Swedish writer named Henning Mankell called FACELESS KILLERS that I think will appeal to most Sjowall/Wahloo enthusiasts.

The hero is a rural detective inspector named Kurt Wallender. Think of him as Carl Houseman to Martin Beck's Steve Carella. He operates in a rural farming community that, despite its rustic charm has more than its share of violent crime.

The first two books published in English won some kind of Swedish crime writing award. The thrid, SIDETRACKED, won the CWA's Golden Dagger for Best Novel.

I found FACELESS KILLERS to be a bit of a slow starter, but sticking with it paid off. I'll make a point of looking for the other Wallender books.

JIM DOHERTY