RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V4 #229

From: marianne.macdonald@lineone.net
Date: 22 Apr 2002

>Can't we think of the ghetto metaphorically then,
>related to the psychological trap of an abusive relationship?
Or any other combination of a social and psychological trap which is hard to deal with unless you can develop unusual mental and moral strength??? she wondered....

>Holmes is able to walk the
>walk and talk the talk, but I didn't think we were disputing about him.
It might be fun...

>All committing a
>> murder means is that you have, deliberately and with
>> malice aforethought, taken another person's life
>> unlawfully; it has no effect on your hard-boiled
>> status.
And I don't see why it isn't just as much a sign of failure of the imagination and personal weakness. Look: I know a man who is at least close enough to being a murderer that he is putting his feet up on death row at the moment, and believe me this guy is neither hard-boiled nor strong in any sense: he is a fool and a victim, as much as the man he did
(or didn't) kill. His physical toughness is, believe me, irrelevant.

MM