RARA-AVIS: Ooops, forgot about Spade.

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Apr 2002

Kerry quoted somebody of Sam Spade.
(Jim Blue, I think)

>Because the former rises from a battle with
personal demons, a hard
>boiled theme as old as the genre, while the
latter violates even Sam Spade's
>oft repeated motto, "I won't play the sap for
you."

Kerry said:

>But Spade is a sap, as are all the characters in

The Maltese Falcon, conned by some unseen hand into lying, cheating, killing

and, perhaps most telling of all, the mistrust and denial of love. This for

the pursuit of a worthless chunk of lead.<

Spade "acts" the sap throughout the whole book, but there is purpose behind it. He was pretty certain that Brigett did it early on -- and unlike the others, he did not lust after the black bird.

Now, a little help here. Please, I need an answer asap -- within the hour if possible -- so send it private to my e-mail addy.

Was the Falcon lead? I thought it was porceline. Anybody?

Jack

===== THE BIG SWITCH, by Jack Bludis http://designimagegroup.com/bigswitch.html Coming in September: THE DEAL KILLER