Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir kiddie lit

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 21 Apr 2002

--- "Doug Hoffman, MD" < hoffmand@cc.northcoast.com> wrote:
> The recent thread on cross-genre noir/hb (science
> fiction and fantasy)
> got me to thinkin... What would the cross-genre
> examples be for other
> genres? How about children's literature?

Forgive me if he's already been mentioned, but Shel Silverstein seems the obvious choice here. He's best know for writing hundreds of poems for children, but he probably wrote twice as many for adults--and its often difficult to tell which piece was written for which audience. He's dark, dark, dark...heck, anyone who'd write a poems entitled "Someone Ate the Baby"
(when he recorded this one, he belched at the end of it) probably has some issues.

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/