Re: RARA-AVIS: Come on in - the water's fine

From: Rene Ribic (
Date: 20 Apr 2002

Mark B said:

> I agree with you that men are more likely to be on this list than are
> only because of its subject matter. I can only judge by my experience.
> sister is an avid mystery reader, but I know she dislikes anything she
> considers too violent. My wife can't understand why I like such
> books and movies. I have managed to get her to read some of the
> boiled Westlakes, but that's it. I know that's certainly not a
> attitude. We have a fair number of women who are pretty active on this
> and I know a woman who still may be subscribed that regularly reads
> edged books than I.
> Mark, ducking..

I know that we have quite a few women on the list, which was a pleasant surprise, initially. My wife also thinks that HB is very much a male thing - I've told her that there are many women on this list but I don't think she really believes me - despite the fact that she has read and enjoyed a fair sized slab of the fiction we talk about here - John D MacDonald, the Hoke Mosley books, Ross Macdonald, Elmore Leonard & Patricia Highsmith in particular. I didn't mean to imply that women are especially over-represented in the lurker ranks it's just that I was particularly pleased to see more women's names than I was expecting. It pleases me because I feel that this stuff we are reading has more universal relevance than just being stuff with guns that overgrown boys bury themselves in as a more socially acceptable variation on being a Trekkie. Live long and prosper, guys & dolls.