Re: RARA-AVIS: J.D. MacDonald

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 20 Apr 2002

Carrie: I'd pretty much go along with what Jim Blue & George said. Personally I prefer the pre-McGees but the McGees also quickly become compulsive reading, although I'm not 100% sure why. The first one I read was CINNAMON SKIN,which didn't do a lot for me at the time but after I read one or two others I was hooked. I read most of them in order & the first one THE DEEP BLUE GOODBYE is a great start being one of the best ones, although as George (or Jim) pointed out, MacDonald gets better as he goes along, peaking in the middle of the series. The latter ones are still good, mostly.And yes, the social attitudes are very outdated, particularly re: women & gays but that didn't stop my wife from reading all the McGee books three times.(& I personally found McGee's best friend Myer's support for General Pinochet extremely offensive but I loved the books anyway).

Rene