Re: RARA-AVIS: J.D. MacDonald

From: Mark Sullivan (
Date: 20 Apr 2002

Jim Blue pretty much said what I was going to about the Travis McGee books. I read them in order, then passed each on to my girlfriend and roommates at the time. That being said, I don't think it's necessary to read them in order as there is very little, if any, continuity between them. They each stand alone very well.

I agree with Jim that the middle ones are probably the best, with Darker Than Amber a particular favorite. I didn't think the last couple were up to the others, but average JD MacD is better than many writers' best work, so they're still quite good.