Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Come on in - the water's fine

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 19 Apr 2002

Victoria wrote:

> I can only speak for myself here, not for any other lurkers (male or
> female). But I did want to state for the record that I've been on the
list
> for over four years, and I have never felt intimidated or frightened
about
> posting, whether because of gender or knowledge or for any other
> reason. In fact, I've made some pretty good friends through this
list. I
> just do not have the time to post all that often, what with one thing
and
> another, and I'd imagine there are others in that situation. But I
always
> do follow discussions--I've found any number of authors through the
list
> and enjoy others' takes on what they're reading/thinking about.

I didn't have in mind occasional posters such as yourself, Victoria, but rather the names that popped up during the vote that I hadn't seen before. I must admit that lack of time hadn't occurred to me as a reason - my speculations were probably more based on my own personality
(although the main reason for my long term lurking was technical ineptitude - just an analog guy in a digital world) & recent experiences in an English lit class I'm taking where about 3 of us - all males - seem to dominate discussions & everyone else seems to be too intimidated. I know we 3 aren't the only one's in the class with ideas or an interest in the topic - why else did everyone else sign up for the class?

Sally wrote:

Thanks for the welcome, Rene. I appreciate it, though your insight is somewhat lacking. I'm not intimidated--just participating as my time, interest and knowledge allow.

See above.I wasn't claiming any insight, just speculating. Is lack of time the only reason so many folks lurk? If it is, I guess there's not much to be done about it (unless, like myself, people take the time even thought they can't afford it. I just can't help myself - I made a promise to myself that I'd only jump into discussions when all my work was up to date. So much for good intentions).

Rene

Rene