RARA-AVIS: Re: Swimming

From: Sally Jane Driscoll ( renza9@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Apr 2002

Thanks for the welcome, Rene. I appreciate it, though your insight is somewhat lacking. I'm not intimidated--just participating as my time, interest and knowledge allow.

In terms of the 100 best, when the time came to vote I was surprised to find that I judged the characters by how well they were men and women. Hardboiled lit strikes a nerve in these morally difficult times and the characters that intrigue me are going to deal with moral issues as best they can. Doesn't mean they have to be right or win. They just have to try. That includes how they relate as men and women, and how they show what it means to be a man or woman. That's why Angie Gennaro beats out V.I. or any of the other hardboiled chicks, and why Patricia Cornwell's female is such a failure. She's a post-modern caricature. Can't stand her.

By the way, get those guys in the dark with a broken bottle and ol' Socrates Fortlow would be the last one standing. He's a survivor.

Cheers,

Sally