RARA-AVIS: Re: Come on in - the water's fine

From: Victoria Esposito-Shea ( victoria@esposito-shea.com)
Date: 19 Apr 2002

Rene,

>It was nice to see several women lurkers announce themselves - we blokes
>tend to dominate discussions, etc & I feel that it's not always our fault-
>it would be nice to have our sisters (& the other lurkers) make their
>presences felt more often. From the votes it's apparent that these folks
>are widely read in the genre, even if they may feel intimidated by the
>knowledgeability of many of the regular contributors.... Perhaps people
>are worried that they'll say something foolish or incorrect?

I can only speak for myself here, not for any other lurkers (male or female). But I did want to state for the record that I've been on the list for over four years, and I have never felt intimidated or frightened about posting, whether because of gender or knowledge or for any other reason. In fact, I've made some pretty good friends through this list. I just do not have the time to post all that often, what with one thing and another, and I'd imagine there are others in that situation. But I always do follow discussions--I've found any number of authors through the list and enjoy others' takes on what they're reading/thinking about.

Best, Victoria

Victoria Esposito-Shea Editor and Co-Founder HandHeldCrime and HandHeldCrime/Coffee Cup Press http://www.handheldcrime.com/