Re: RARA-AVIS: The list, Simenon, Lafferty, etc.

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 19 Apr 2002

Richard Moore:

> When I wrote for newspapers, short items were called blivets. No idea of
the
> origin of the term but this posting consists of three blivets.

Richard, Are three blivets called a trivet?

> So every one of my 20 made the top 100. My initial reaction to that is
mild
> disappointment. Maybe I did not give the list sufficient thought. On the
> other hand, it is probably just evidence that my daughters are right when
> they accuse me of priding myself on being eccentric and on this list I was
> so, well, typical.

Just think of all the publishers who would love to acquire somebody who instinctively could pick what are considered the best without having to think about it. It's sort of like being able to unerringly answer will it play in Peoria?

I guess the only Rara Avis counterpart to the Lafferty quote was submitted by Colin who wrote, "Dora !
 Suarez I suppose would never have got in, being dead and all. "> Mark