Re: RARA-AVIS: criticism and the burnt orange heresy

From: Rene Ribic (
Date: 17 Apr 2002

Miker wrote:

my most
> favorite commentary on criticism is willeford's _burnt
> orange heresy_. it was wickedly and absurdly hilarious.
> the entire book is a running commentary on the character
> and value of criticism.

In regards to that, Tom Wolfe's slim little book, THE PAINTED WORD would make an excellent companion-piece. It is a very funny & irreverent look at modern art & the appreciation thereof & as far as I can verify it it is wickedly accurate. It's one of those few books that made me laugh out loud. (The "Boho Dance" still cracks me up when I think about it.)