Re: Re: RARA-AVIS: Bird

From: Graham Powell (
Date: 17 Apr 2002

>I've been told that "bird" as a slang expression for
>females derives from the American colloquialism
>"chick," in the same way that "bread" for money
>derived from "dough." Any truth in this?

I really think it's the other way 'round. I can't find my copy of Hugh Rawson's DICTIONARY OF EUPHEMISMS, a great and hilarious book, so I can't be sure. BTW, there's a line from "Polythyne Pam" (sp?) where John sings,
"It's a little absurd, but she's a nice lot of bird..." So it was current in the late 60s at least.