RARA-AVIS: signifying nothing

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 17 Apr 2002

rene confesses:
>I'll just say
>that nobody, including Carter & the editor himself, knew what the editor
>was talking about. I wish I still had the tape - it was something
>straight out of Monty Python.)
>I'm not dissing Barthes here (I admit I'm not overly familiar with his
>stuff) - I'm having a go at some of the schools of academic writing
>following that became so impenetrable that a fellow who didn't even have
>a good handle on English as she is spoke could write essays, etc in this
>impenetrable gobbledygook and come out top of his class, with a
>distinction yet.

hahaha. pretty darned funny, rene. been there, done that with some cormac mccarthy commentary. care for a sample:

"The judge has not broken any signifier-signified chain, leaving signs dangling in a deconstructive pose searching for meaning, but rather he cleanly cleaves the earthly object from its representation and leaves the signifier in place as the sign itself."

i'd say somebody has got their bird stuck in their ear. a person needs hip-boots to wade through stuff like that.

miker