RARA-AVIS: Garnethill (Gen X lifestyle)

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 16 Apr 2002

Gary wrote:

>We used Garnethill for a mystery book discussion at my library, and >most
>of the members found that Gen-X lifestyle a little hard to take,

I'm almost afraid to ask what the Gen-X lifestyle means in reference to Garnethill. Drugdealing, slacking, casual adultery? I mean, I'd love to take the credit, but I don't think my generation invented those ;).

Another series that has a similar Gen-X feel to Garnethill, though funnier and by no means as dark, definitely hard-boiled at least in the later books, is Val McDermid's Kate Branigan series. Although I believe the author, like Mina, is a Scot, the books are set in Manchester with a lot of detail about the British music business and the Manchester club scene.

carrie