Re: RARA-AVIS: Maigret

Date: 16 Apr 2002

Re your question below:

> I've seen Maigret show up on a number of lists but
> have never read any
> Simenon. If I were to pick one, just ONE, to give me
> a feel for the series,
> what would be a good choice? (And please don't say
> all of them, in order)
> Thanks in advance . . .

They're short, so, with your permission I'll name three

MAIGRET & THE ENIGMATIC LETT (aka THE STRANGE CASE OF PETER THE LETT), one of the very first, lots of atmosphere and Parisian grit.

A BATTLE OF NERVES (aka MAIGRET'S WAR OF NERVES) another early one, very typical battle of wits between Maigret and the murderer; became the American-made but filmed-in-Paris movie THE MAN IN THE EIFFEL TOWER with Charles Laughton badly cast (but doing a good job, neverthless) as Maigret.

MAIGRET SETS A TRAP is my personal favorite. Maigret on the trail of a serial killer circa mid-50s. Became the film INSPECTOR MAIGRET which won the Edgar in a now-defunct category, Best Foreign Screenplay, which was the first of several French Maigret films to start Jean Gabin, perhaps the best of all screen Maigrets.