RARA-AVIS: My Vote

From: Rob Cream ( robcream@telusplanet.net)
Date: 15 Apr 2002

My vote:

> 229. Philip Marlowe (series, Raymond Chandler)
> 84. Easy Rawlins (series, Walter Mosley)
> 227. Perry Mason (series, Erle Stanley Gardner)
> 252. Sam Spade (THE MALTESE FALCON, Dashiell Hammett)
> 215. Nick Corey (POP 1280 - Jim Thompson)
> 147. Joe Friday (Dragnet series, various authors)
> 154. John Rebus (series, Ian Rankin)
> 192. Maximum Bob Gibbs (MAXIMUM BOB, Elmore Leonard)
> 196. Mike Hammer (series, Mickey Spillane)
> 179. Maigret (series, Georges Simenon)
> 219. Nick & Nora Charles (THE THIN MAN, Dashiell Hammett)
> 119. Harry Morgan (TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT, Ernest Hemingway)
> 138. James Bond (series, Ian Fleming)
> 16. Batman (comics/novels series, various authors)
> 145. Jo Gar (short stories, Raoul Whitfield)
> 49. Chili Palmer (GET SHORTY and BE COOL, Elmore Leonard)
> 207. Mouse (Easy Rawlins series, Walter Mosley)
> 19. Bernie Ohls (THE LONG GOODBYE, (and other stories), Raymond
Chandler)
> 39. Carmen Sternwood (THE BIG SLEEP, Raymond Chandler)
> 29. Brigid O'Shaughnessy (THE MALTESE FALCON, Dashiell Hammett)

Roughly in order - and not particularly exciting I shouldn't think. Mine are pretty much based on what I like - the rest of you can deal with what should <actually> be on the list... ;-)

Chandler (to me) is it. Head and shoulders above the rest. Hammer can be enjoyable - but it really is crap. One of the few on my list who's there just because I felt he <should be> there. Maigret - I'm really not convinced he's hardboiled - but he's certainly noir.

One question:

> 230. Philip St. Ives (series, Ross Thomas as Oliver Bleeck)

Is this the "St. Ives" that Charles Bronson made a movie of years ago?

Rob