RARA-AVIS: Last-minute vote

From: Victoria Esposito-Shea ( victoria@esposito-shea.com)
Date: 15 Apr 2002

It's a little disconcerting to realize just how traditional my taste is. Nonetheless, here they are as I see 'em:

33. Brigid O'Shaughnessy (THE MALTESE FALCON, Dashiell Hammett) 68. Dan Kearney (DKA series, Joe Gores) 75. Delilah West (series, Maxine O'Callaghan) 132. Gottfleisch (recurring character, Russell James) 135. Hap Collins & Leonard Pine (Hap & Leonard series, Joe R. Lansdale) 161. Jay Gatsby (THE GREAT GATSBY, F. Scott Fitzgerald) 191. Lew Archer (series, Ross Macdonald) 196. Lou Ford (KILLER INSIDE ME and WILD TOWN, Jim Thompson) 205. Mario Balzic (series, K.C. Constantine) 210. Matthew Scudder (series, Lawrence Block) 219. Mick Ballou (series, Lawrence Block) 237. Nameless (series, Bill Pronzini) 239. Nate Heller (series, Max Alan Collins) (though I'm voting for this one on the strength of the earliest books, not the more recent ones) 257. Philip Marlowe (series, Raymond Chandler) 286 Sam Spade (THE MALTESE FALCON, Dashiell Hammett) 300. Spenser (series, Robert Parker) (again, on the strength of the early books) 304. Steve Carella (87th Precinct series, Evan "Ed" McBain) 316. Tom Ripley (series, Patricia Highsmith)

Write-in: Ruggiero "Rugs" Carlucci (series, K.C. Constantine)

Victoria

Victoria Esposito-Shea Editor and Co-Founder HandHeldCrime and HandHeldCrime/Coffee Cup Press http://www.handheldcrime.com/