Re: RARA-AVIS: Fact checkers

From: Thomas Bauduret ( suspiria@club-internet.fr)
Date: 15 Apr 2002

le 15/04/02 22:12, Ray Skirsky ࠼A HREF="mailto:rskirsky@qualcomm.com?subject=Re:%20RARA-AVIS:%20Fact%20checkers&replyto=B8E12DA0.5317%25suspiria@club-internet.fr">rskirsky@qualcomm.com a 飲it :

> At 01:14 AM 4/15/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>> Stewart said, "Too bad his editor didn't hire some fact
>> checkers too."
>>
>> Usually the copy-editor checks things like that, and I'm
>> surprised it was missed.
>
> Yes, but copy editing appears to be a dying profession. These days it seems
> that copy-editing, for most books, means a quick run through the
> spell-checker.

I can tell you. As a translator, I had to correct several mistakes in original texts, and most of my colleagues will say so. great for french publisher ‹ we actually do the job the former ones did not. Not so great for local authors who don't get that much attentionŠ
(Besides, a translation usually pays much better than a novel you wrote, even if they keep on churning out translations that does not always sell better than local authors. Go figure.)

T.

"Le cin魡 de B ࠚ"Š

http://vsolutions.free.fr/anews.php3 Any Other Solutions : Nick Cave, :Wumpscut:, Elysian Fields, Depeche Mode, The Cure, Jack The Ripper, Sparklehorse, Deine Lakaien,Peter Gabriel, The Sisters of Mercy, VNV Nation, Icon of Coil, Das Ich, Radiohead, Assemblage 23, CopenhagenŠ