RARA-AVIS: A vote from another lurker

From: Susan Robinette ( susanrob@mindspring.com)
Date: 14 Apr 2002

I'm surfacing to cast my vote for the most hard-boiled list. I surprised myself by having to pare my list down to 20 instead of scrambling to come up with 20 that I had read. Since subscribing to this list, I've been inundated with new books to read, and it's wonderful.

So here's my list (at the current moment -- it keeps changing)

2. Abraham Trahearne (THE LAST GOOD KISS, James Crumley) 10. Arkady Renko (series, Martin Cruz Smith) 12. Artie Wu & Quincy Durant (series, Ross Thomas) 47. Charlie Arglist (THE ICE HARVEST, Scott Phillips) 46. Charlie Resnick (series, John Harvey) 59. Dan Kearney (DKA series, Joe Gores) 67. Derek Strange (series, George Pelecanos)/ 84. Easy Rawlins (series, Walter Mosley) 89. Elliot Steil (Outcast, Jose Lattour 115. Hap Collins & Leonard Pine (Hap & Leonard series, Joe R. Lansdale) 117. Harry aka Hieronymus Bosch (series, Michael Connelly) 118. Harry Lime (THE THIRD MAN, Graham Greene) 132. Jack Liffey (series, John Shannon) 154. John Rebus (series, Ian Rankin) 167. Lew Archer (series, Ross Macdonald) 182. Marion "Doc" Ford (series, Randy Wayne White) 186. Matthew Scudder (series, Lawrence Block) 202. Mitch Tobin (series, Donald Westlake writing as Tucker Coe) 229. Philip Marlowe (series, Raymond Chandler) 252. Sam Spade (THE MALTESE FALCON, Dashiell Hammett)

Susan