Re[2]: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy's birds [was: when a cigar is not a cigar award]

From: Stewart Wilson ( stewart@stewartwilson.com)
Date: 14 Apr 2002

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002 08:06:20 +1000 Rene Ribic < rribic@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> While we're on the topic I noticed Ellroy used the expression "cap" (as
> in to kill/shoot someone) in THE COOL SIX THOUSAND. I've only been aware
> of this expression in more recent times, definitely 1980's or later.

Much as I enjoyed COLD 6K, Ellroy also had Bondurant (on my top 20) popping Nicorettes, which were not introduced until 1978 (and then only in Sweden). As a result, I wouldn't be surprised if 'cap' is anachronistic. Ironically, Ellroy, speaking in Toronto on his tour of C6K, said he hired historical researchers to write up backstories on the events presented in the book, which he used as source material. Too bad his editor didn't hire some fact checkers too.

Cheers,
--Stewart