Re: RARA-AVIS: Boxing novel and, er, whatever

From: Kerry ( gsp.schoo@skylinc.net)
Date: 13 Apr 2002

At 09:24 AM 4/13/02 -0400, you wrote:
>On another topic, some of you may be selling Ms Thompson short on her
>bird/penis theory. There is a slang expression for masturbation: "choking
>his chicken." I suspect it is U.S. Southern in origin, coming from the time
>when boys were sent to the yard to catch the main course for Sunday dinner
>(lunch to non-Southerners). Once caught, the next preparation step was to
>kill the chicken and neck-wringing was a popular method. Perhaps I am going
>into too much detail even for a hard-boiled group. The expression is still
>in use, although not in all social circles.

Oh I like this. Truthfully, I always believed these phrases were metaphors based more upon technique than geography, but this does bring an interesting twist to the matter at hand. Chicken-throttling unique to the American South? Who'd have thought it? What then does "smack the pony" say about the Brits? And where precisely on God's green earth do they "spank the monkey"? Expanding on the theme, can we agree that the pooch is universally screwed, or is there someplace where that's still a privilege reserved for royalty? I sense a thesis in the works here, for some lucky Ph.D. candidate.

Kerry, who shall never think of hardboil in the same or sane sense again.

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com