RARA-AVIS: Boxing novel and, er, whatever

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 13 Apr 2002

Rene, I liked Gault's THE CANVAS COFFIN quite a bit when I read it some years ago. In the May 2002 issue of "Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine," Jon Breen calls COFFIN the "best boxing mystery I ever read."

On another topic, some of you may be selling Ms Thompson short on her bird/penis theory. There is a slang expression for masturbation: "choking his chicken." I suspect it is U.S. Southern in origin, coming from the time when boys were sent to the yard to catch the main course for Sunday dinner
(lunch to non-Southerners). Once caught, the next preparation step was to kill the chicken and neck-wringing was a popular method. Perhaps I am going into too much detail even for a hard-boiled group. The expression is still in use, although not in all social circles.

Richard Moore