RARA-AVIS: My votes (I know you've all been waiting)

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Apr 2002

Brad was kind enough to send me directly (i.e. off-list) the latest nomination list and the voting deadline. Thanks, Brad. Here are my votes:

33. Brigid O'Shaughnessy (THE MALTESE FALCON, Hammett) 37. Burke (series, Andrew Vachss) 58. Clete Purcell (Robicheaux series, James Lee Burke) 141. Hawk (Spenser series, Robert Parker) 191. Lew Archer (series, Ross Macdonald) 201. Mac (series, Thomas Dewey) 210. Matthew Scudder (series, Lawrence Block) 219. Mick Ballou (series, Lawrence Block) 221. Mike Hammer (series, Mickey Spillane) 237. Nameless (series, Bill Pronzini) 257. Philip Marlowe (series, Raymond Chandler) 266. Race Williams (series, Carrol John Daly) 286. Sam Spade (THE MALTESE FALCON, Dashiell Hammett) 288. Satan Hall (series, Carroll John Daly 291. Shell Scott (series, Richard S. Prather) 300. Spenser (series, Robert Parker 308. The Continental Op (series, Dashiell Hammett) 318. Travis McGee (series, John D. MacDonald)

And I have two write-ins, if those are allowed, for whatever they're worth:

Chiun (Destroyer series, Warren Murphy) Digger / Trace (series, Warren Murphy)

As for criteria, I was advised to decide upon my own, and after debating it for a while, I decided to pick those characters I remember best. So the twenty characters listed above are those who, when I go up against the Hard-Boiled Geek on "Beat the Geeks", I hope my questions are about. I remember some of them because I've been exposed to them so often (Spenser and Scudder, for example) and others because I've done academic studies of them (e.g., Satan Hall and Race Williams). Of course, Sam, Phil and Lew are old friends. But whatever the reason, these are the characters who have stayed with me.

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/