Re: RARA-AVIS: O'Connor quickly and films

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Apr 2002

--- Rene Ribic < rribic@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> ( By the way, Gresham's ex-wife, IIRC, went
> on to have a Platonic
> affair with author C S Lewis of Narnia books fame.
> They made a movie
> about the romance a few years ago, title escapes
> me).

A quick review of the 1015 emails remaining in my inbox (I'm making slow but steady progress) does not immediately reveal a response to this note, so I'll jump in. The movie is SHADOWLANDS staring Debra Winger and Anthony Hopkins. I can't remember seeing Hopkins in a film and disliking him, and this is no exception. This is pretty off-topic, so I won't dwell on it, but this is a great film. (C.S. Lewis is also something of a personal hero of mine, so I'm probably a pretty tough judge of such things, FWIW). Hopkins, of course, may be best known in the states as Hannibal Lector of SILENCE OF THE LAMBS fame, playing a character who is listed on the nominations list for the top 100 hb characters. Look, Bill, how cleverly I got myself back on topic!

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/