Re: RARA-AVIS: Votes

From: WordRunner@aol.com
Date: 10 Apr 2002

In a message dated 4/9/02 2:14:59 PM, matrxtech@yahoo.com writes:

<< voting for one's favorite characters >>

    Welcome back, Mr. T, and thanks for reminding us what we're about in this voting. "Best," whatever it might be designated under other circumstances, clearly means at least a dozen different things in this balloting, including
"favorites."
    I've read several posts asking about the possibility of notifying the outside world of our preferences, and wonder if we aren't beginning to treat what we're doing and ourselves a bit too seriously. As far as I can tell, all we're up to is having a little fun and kicking the can down the road. Tallying every piece of fruit we toss into a basket and declaring the total as "100 Apples" may be interesting to us, but it doesn't have much meaning, and I'd be embarrassed to think we'd treat it as if it did, even in the name of promoting hard-boiled fiction.
    Nevertheless, in the spirit of group fun, and in response to Bill's appeal for participation, here are my favorites on this particular morning in the order in which they occurred to me:

        1. Philip Marlowe
        2. Sam Spade
        3. Hoke Moseley
        4. Travis McGee
        5. Easy Rawlins
        6. Socrates Fortlow
        7. Tom Spellacy - (True Confessions)
        8. Kinsey Milhone
        9. Arkady Renko
        10. V.I. Warshawski
        11. Nick Stefanos
        12. Marcus Clay & Dimitri Karras
        13. Buzz Meeks
        14. Hap Collins & Leonard Pine
        15. Chili Palmer
        16. Ernest "Stick" Stickney
        17. Gideon Moway
        18. Harry Bosch
        19. Eddie Coyle
        20. George Smiley

        That's twenty, so it must be time to stop, but there are many others that have been great folks to read about.

                                        Jim Blue