Re: RARA-AVIS: Southern names & recent buys

From: Joy Matkowski ( jmatkowski1@comcast.net)
Date: 08 Apr 2002

Richard Moore < Moorich2@aol.com> noted: "I also picked up several by Stephen Dobyns, a writer who has recently caught my eye. One I am excited about reading was one of his "mainstream" novels but it looks very much in line with our focus. The title: THE CHURCH OF DEAD GIRLS. I liked the opening. Without giving anything away as to plot, are there any out there who have read this one and have an opinion?"

I read a couple of his horseracing books years ago and found them short of plot. He's a poet, I decided poets can't write mysteries, and I haven't read any fiction written by poets since then. How's his plotting these days? Did I write him off too soon?

Joy, who can do either her taxes or her 20 best by 4/15