RARA-AVIS: My votes for the 100 best HB characters

From: editor@mysteryinkonline.com
Date: 07 Apr 2002

Greetings all! I'm a new member to the list and this is my first post. I've enjoyed reading over the lists of people's votes for best characters. So many wonderful characters.

Here are my picks:

11. Artie Wu & Quincy Durant (series, Ross Thomas) 63. Derek Strange (series, George Pelecanos) 77. Easy Rawlins (series, Walter Mosley) 82. Elvis Cole (series, Robert Crais) 105. Hannibal Lecter (series, Thomas Harris) 109. Harry aka Hieronymus Bosch (series, Michael Connelly) 122. Jack Reacher (series, Lee Child) 128. Jane Whitfield (series, Tom Perry) 144. Jonathan Hemlock (EIGER SANCTION and LOO SANCTION, Trevanian) 158. Lucas Davenport (Prey series, John Sandford) 165. Marcus Clay (series, George Pelecanos) 171. Matthew Scudder (series, Lawrence Block) 179. Michael Schaefer (SLEEPING DOGS and THE BUTCHER BOY, Thomas Perrry) 205. Parker (series, Richard Stark) 212. Philip Marlowe (series, Raymond Chandler) 213. Philip St. Ives (series, Ross Thomas as Oliver Bleeck) 226. Repairman Jack (series, F. Paul Wilson) 235. Sam Spade (THE MALTESE FALCON, Dashiell Hammett) 247. Spenser (series, Robert Parker) 262. Travis McGee (series, John D. MacDonald)

My choices reflect a preference for series characters over one-offs. It's harder to be as memorable when you only get one exposure, I think. I also eliminated most of the sidekicks, in preference for their protagonist counterparts.

Some very difficult choices to make. I ended up going with those characters that had stuck with me the most; those that I would like to read again.

================ David Montgomery Editor, Mystery Ink http://www.mysteryinkonline.com