Re: RARA-AVIS: My List

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Apr 2002

Doug,

Re your questions below:

> Hey Jim Doherty, in the world of police
> procedurals, what do
> people think of Harpur & Iles?

I haven't read them, so I can't comment personally, but everything I've heard has been very positive.

> And while on the
> topic, what about Kramer and
> Zondi?)

This I can comment on. James McClure is very well-respected in the mystery world. His first K&Z novel won the British Crime Writers Golden Dagger for best novel. He also does his homework on the police stuff. Zondi is supposed to be very closely modeled on a real-life Zulu detective sergeant McClure knew, and the procedural stuff is said to be very authentic.
 McClure is also the author of two non-fiction books examining law enforcement in both England and the US from the beat cop's POV, SPIKE ISLAND about the Liverpool police and COP WORLD about the San Diego police. The research he did on SDPD led to a series of short stories about a San Diego cop.

JIM DOHERTY