RARA-AVIS: Vote

From: Doug Hoffman, MD ( hoffmand@cc.northcoast.com)
Date: 06 Apr 2002

My list. Nothing too controversial. (I'm not sure Smiley really belongs on this sort of list, but he is one of my favorite characters. But if we're going to delve into spy novels, how about that fella from The Spy Who Came in from the Cold?) Doug

9. Arkady Renko (series, Martin Cruz Smith) 15. Batman (comics/novels series, various authors) 65. Dick Tracy (newspaper strip, Chester Gould) 69. Doc McCoy (GETAWAY, Jim Thompson) 78. Eddie Coyle (THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE, George V. Higgins) 91. Frank Chambers & Cora Papadakis (THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE, James M. Cain) 95. George Smiley (series, John Le Carre) 124. Jay Gatsby (THE GREAT GATSBY, F. Scott Fitzgerald) 144. Lamont Cranston (THE SHADOW, various authors) 146. Lew Archer (series, Ross Macdonald) 151. Lou Ford (KILLER INSIDE ME and WILD TOWN, Jim Thompson) 164. Matt Helm (series, Donald Hamilton) 203. Philip Marlowe (series, Raymond Chandler) 220. Roy Dillon (THE GRIFTERS, Jim Thompson) 223. Sam Spade (THE MALTESE FALCON, Dashiell Hammett) 225. Shaft (series, Ernest Tidyman) 234. Smilla Jaspersen (SMILLA'S SENSE OF SNOW , Peter Hø¥§©Š 242. The Continental Op (series, Dashiell Hammett) 248. Tom Ripley (series, Patricia Highsmith) 256. Walter Huff (DOUBLE INDEMNITY, James M. Cain)