RARA-AVIS: Henry Slesar, RIP

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 06 Apr 2002

Sorry to hear about Slesar's death. I enjoyed his novel THE GRAY FLANNEL SHROUD, which won the Edgar for best first novel way back in 1959. Of course, he will be remembered for his short stories, many of which were quite good. Like Bill I enjoyed his stories in the science fiction digests as well, usually under the name O.H. Leslie (which was also used for some of his tremendous mystery output).

Some years ago, I watched and taped scores of the old Alfred Hitchcock Presents programs. I did lists of writers, directors and actors. Okay, let's just say that AHP was an obsession for some months. I still go back and view some of those episodes. Alas, to my surprise, the episodes written by Henry Slesar or based on his stories rarely rose above the mediocre. I realize this is a minority opinion but it is based on that period of concentrated viewing and comparison.

Richard Moore