RARA-AVIS: one more time

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 04 Apr 2002

hi everybody!

well, i finished mccarthy's _blood meridian_. spectacular book. best i've read in a long, long time. the last thing that came close was frazier's _cold mountain_. i think the book exists on two levels, but i stuck close to the surface. i look for meanings and insights involving human experience. issues on a grander scope, like comments about the policies of western expansionism, don't do much for me.

in my very limited reading experience, this book was by far the darkest and most sinister noir i've encountered. but the characters still seemed human, and the events believable. i searched the avis archives and found references to but little discussion of the book itself. too bad.

a spectacular work. i highly recommend the book, but be forewarned: the vocabulary is a bit extended and the style leans towards the eloquent.

time for me to return to rankin's _black book_.

miker