Re: RARA-AVIS: R. V. Cassill

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 02 Apr 2002

> Besides The Wife Next Door, he wrote Night School for Dell and Girls'
> Dormitory for Lion. There might have been others, but those are the
ones
> I remember.
>
> Bill Crider

I have a copy of a Gold Medal (UK) edition of NURSE'S QUARTERS by Cassill. Aside from that all I knew about him was the article in TOUGH GUY WRITERS OF THE THIRTIES (which was blurbed on the first Jim Thompson book I ever read, the Zomba Black Box anthology). I understand that Cassill was a respected academic (despite having written such titles as the above mentioned). Did he write any other pieces aside from the Thompson article that would be of interest, does anybody know?

Rene (who's feeling terribly jolly after spending all - & a bit more - of his spare cash on a whack of 1950's US paperbacks, including THE CREEPING SIAMESE by Hammett & MURDER IN THE WIND by John D MacDonald
(Dell 1st Edition - does this make it a pb original as claimed by Dell? I'm thinking that Bill Crider would be one of the guys who'd probably know).