RARA-AVIS: twenty

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 02 Apr 2002

I arrived at my list by process of elimination. I had no idea how it would turn out until I was done. Getting down from 40 to 20 was very hard. I think if we decided to vote for characters who we believed were most influential, my list would have been very different.

23. Bob Lee Swagger (series, Steven Hunter)

27. Bridgett Logan (series, Greg Rucka)

39. Casper Gutman (THE MALTESE FALCON, Dashiell Hammett)

77. Easy Rawlins (series, Walter Mosley)

80. Edmund Exley (L.A. QUARTET series, James Ellroy)

105. Hannibal Lecter (series, Thomas Harris)

109. Harry aka Hieronymus Bosch (series, Michael Connelly)

113. Hoke Moseley (series, Charles Willeford)

114. Honey West ( series, G G Fickling)

127. James Bond (series, Ian Fleming)

128. Jane Whitfield (series, Tom Perry)

170. Matt Helm (series, Donald Hamilton)

171. Matthew Scudder (series, Lawrence Block)

192. Mouse (Easy Rawlins series, Walter Mosley)

199. Nick & Nora Charles (THE THIN MAN, Dashiell Hammett)

212. Philip Marlowe (series, Raymond Chandler)

235. Sam Spade (THE MALTESE FALCON, Dashiell Hammett)

241. Skink a.k.a. The Governor (recurring character, Carl Hiassen)

262. Travis McGee (series, John D. MacDonald)

267. Walter Huff (DOUBLE INDEMNITY, James M Cain)

John Lau