RARA-AVIS: R.V. Cassill dies

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 01 Apr 2002

Pardon the interruption of list debate but I thought it worth a mention that R.V. Cassill died on May 23 at the age of 82. The NY Times had a nice obit on him today (April 1st). Cassill was primarily a writer of mainstream fiction and a widely published critic. He was a champion of Jim Thompson long before any critic other than Anthony Boucher ever heard of him. While I say he was primarily a mainstream writer, he gladly turned out a few paperback originals in the 1950s including a Gold Medal Original THE WIFE NEXT DOOR (1959). His 650 page COLLECTED STORIES was well-reviewed by the Times in 1989. I'm no expert on his fiction but I read and reread his book ON WRITING and remember it as one of best writing texts I've ever read.

Richard Moore